Sunday, March 10, 2013

Oceans: Soundtrack of the rescued



As I type this I am listening to a song that has weaved it's way as the soundtrack for these moments we are walking through. It's called Oceans... Where feet may fail.

I have some idea of what that place can look like... That ocean, where feet may fail.

Walking through a cancer ward. Seeing my beloved in a cancer ward. He faces this with steadfast hope and overwhelming dignity. He is strength.
Here is that ocean, where feet may fail.
Watching the stories of other families unfolding around me.
A mother holds her sons hand and stares out the hospital window...faces set with grief as they prepare for surgery in the morning. A mass on the brain. A dark spot on a slide that is held up to a window. The fear and the longing is palpable. It's an ocean, deep and dark.
Daughters leaning in to place a gentle kiss on the head of a dad who is struggling to recover from the last chemotherapy round. Their world is being rocked by rolling waves of crisis.
The gaunt and frail body of a patient who painfully and slowly rolls towards the wall. He just wants to sleep. He is tired. He has had enough of the questions about how the pain is right now.


In deepest water.
In wildest waves.
In chaos and in trial.
In the midst of the storm.

I don't know if you have ever listened to a song or heard music that grabs you. It holds you in it's grip and it carries you. Where you hear in melody the echo of what your very own heart beats.

Someone, somewhere wrote this song.
Not knowing that today this woman would walk through a moment that deserved such a soundtrack.
A family would experience a trial that demanded such an expression.
Where feet may fail.
Deepest ocean.
Darkest water.
Wildest wind.
Failing feet.

Because in oceans deep, He stands.
Because in wildest wind, my eyes are focused above the roaring waves.

I have thrown my trust and my words of belief and declarations of faith at the foot of the cross for years. I have staked all that I am and all that I ever want on the One I call saviour, my commander of the angel armies.
And He has never NEVER never failed... He won't start now.

He holds the broken and the sinking above the deep.
He lifts the tired and the weary from the depth.
He pulls the drowning from the darkest deepest water.

I know this.
I am this.
I am being held, I won't sink.
In my desperate weariness I am being lifted. Up...My eyes are drawn.
In that second I thought I would drown in the grief of diagnosis, I was rescued.
I was rescued.
From the deep.
From that ocean, where feet may fail.


So, thank you songwriter who heard the ocean roar and wrote what this heart needed to sing.







No comments:

Post a Comment